[webkit-dev] Custom exception messages for IDL defined methods that raise DOMException.

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Mon Nov 14 17:17:34 PST 2011

For SQLException, there are a hundred exception codes reserved,

    static const int SQLExceptionOffset = 1000;
    static const int SQLExceptionMax = 1099;

of which, we appear to only be using eight.  It sounds like you're
considering exposing more than a finite enumerated number of error
codes, however.  Do we really want to make SQLite error messages part
of the web platform?  What if we want to upgrade to a newer version of
SQLite in the future (which might have different error codes)?

IMHO, we shouldn't be investing much more effort into WebSQLDatabase.
It's something of a dead-end for the platform.  If you're set on
investing more effort, one path forward is to figure out which are the
most important kinds of errors to distinguish and to give them error
codes.  You can then give them descriptions as usual without needing
any custom bindings.

Adam