[webkit-dev] The Purpose of Core Builders

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Wed Nov 9 08:21:33 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Patrick Gansterer <paroga at paroga.com> wrote:
> Some of my thought on this, since I have the same "problems" with my WinCE bot:
>
> 1) Is there any real benefit in the CoreBuilders concept (since it's not used as intended as Eric already wrote)?

If it were up to me, I'd remove the concept because causes me more
headaches than it's worth.  However, ggaren makes some good points
about why it's useful.  Hopefully having that wiki page will help.

> 2) When we still want the CoreBuilder concept: Can we make the core/non-core transition without any SVN change? What about improving the buildbot-master, so that it dertiminates the core/non-core on the fly, by checking the last x builds? I don't like the idea of adding and removing the the bots to the "core list" all the time.

I'd be happy to review such a change.  Practically, however, if
there's a configuration that a large number of developers use (e.g.,
apple-mac), it's probably worth having on the front page even if it's
red a lot.

> 3) It's hard for non full time contributes to get informed about broken bots, if you don't watch the buildbot site the whole day.
>   a) Maybe we can tell the buildbot to write a mail to the build slave maintainer, when the bot is broken. (It happened more than once that my bot was red for days, because I didn't get informed about it).
>   b) I agree that keeping all bots green is not the task of the committer, but maybe someone should trigger the port maintainer to fix it. I have no idea about a general working rule, but as of my experience the committer simply "don't see" the problem. E.g. WinCE bot builds the interpreter version of JSC, which is a "core feature" and not port specific, but the commit author didn't see the break.

It's petty easy to write a webkit-patch command that monitors the bots
and files bugs when they fail or whatever.  If I were you, I'd just
write such a monitoring command rather than wait for other folks to
solve this problem for me.

Adam