[webkit-dev] Putting layout tests on a separate repository (was "Supporting w3c ref tests and changing our convention")

Alan Stearns stearns at adobe.com
Fri Nov 4 15:21:32 PDT 2011

On 11/4/11 3:09 PM, "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed, I'm against this idea.
>
> You make good points. There may be solutions to your objections, but
> they might not be much better than having a slow git status right now.
>
> Do other people who use WebKit with Git see this problem?  If so, what
> do you do to stay productive? If not then I'll just be sure to only
> develop WebKit on a faster machine (which I do have and look forward
> to testing soon.)

Note that supporting reftests has the possibility of slowing LayoutTests
folder growth for WebKit-specific tests. If you have the choice of writing a
reftest with a single html reference as the expected result, you should not
get a proliferation of dumprendertree or png baselines in the platform
folder.

Once we figure out how to support imported reftests, we should be
encouraging people to use reftests internally (even for tests we have no
intention of pushing to the W3C) instead of dumprendertree or pixel tests
(where possible - I assume reftests won't always work for visual tests).

Alan