[webkit-dev] Moving WTF out of JavaScriptCore (revisited)

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Fri Nov 4 10:59:56 PDT 2011

On 2011-11-04, at 10:57, Kevin Ollivier wrote:

> Hi Steve,

>>> If you guys want to go the route of finishing up the export macros work, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I probably can't devote a lot of time to it for the next week or two, but I'd like to see this fixed regardless of if it's used to move forward the WTF split, obviously, so I can put a higher priority on it if I know there are reviewers waiting to land things. :)
>>>
>>> FWIW, I did distinguish between JS and WTF symbol export macros in the work I've been doing, so the macros approach will support the split as-is.
>>
>> If WTF is to be a static library, there's no need to change anything in the .def file on Windows.
>> .def files apply only to DLLs.
>
> Yes, I know, just saying I'd be willing to help if they wanted to go the DLL route. Making it static would make life easier for me also by allowing us to remove the need for WTF symbol exports entirely, of course, so either way is a plus for me.

WTF being a static library doesn't change anything with respect to exports.  It will still only be linked by a single dynamic library, and that library will be expected to export the necessary symbols for other clients. Doing otherwise would cause problems due to multiple instances of WTF's data being created (e.g., separate FastMalloc heaps for each library that linked directly to WTF).

- Mark