[webkit-dev] Moving WTF out of JavaScriptCore (revisited)

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Nov 2 16:42:16 PDT 2011

On Nov 2, 2011, at 4:09 PM, Mark Rowe wrote:

> There are a few related goals here that I'm aware of:
> a) Separate WTF out of JavaScriptCore since it doesn't logically belong there, but was simply a convenient home for it.
> b) Separate WebCore/platform out of WebCore to help avoid layering violations.
> c) Rework the Mac build process so that we can eliminate forwarding headers and remove the duplication of .xcconfig files.
>
> The process for addressing a) and b) will be similar:
> 1) Move the relevant code from its current location to the new location.
> 2) Create a new Xcode project that builds the desired output in the appropriate fashion. Update other build systems as is applicable.
> 3) Apple starts including the new project in our build process.

Step (2) here involves coming up with a good solution for export control in both the WTF and platform cases. Today we use an explicit .exp file for JavaScriptCore and WebCore on Mac and I believe a .def file in the Apple Windows WebKit port. So there might be a necessary first step of moving to a different export approach. And I know someone has been working on that.

-- Darin