[webkit-dev] Cherry-Pick Bug Comments

James Robinson jamesr at google.com
Fri May 27 14:29:12 PDT 2011

I find these cherry-pick bug comments annoying and hope that you will stop
generating them.  There are many ports that make releases based off of
WebKit trunk, and all of them have some notion of release branches that
contain cherry-picked revisions, reverts, etc.  As a developer it's nearly
always irrelevant to me whether a given patch is cherry-picked into a given
Qt release or not, just as it would be to know if that revision was
cherry-picked into a given Gtk, EFL, Safari, or Chromium release branch.
 When I do need to know the status of a specific branch, I look in the
port-specific location of the branch to see what happened.  For example, to
see what's in a given chromium release I look in the appropriate
subdirectory of http://trac.webkit.org/browser/branches/chromium.  For the
Safari 534 branch, http://trac.webkit.org/browser/branches/safari-534-branch
 etc.

I would recommend that the people who work on QtWebKit figure out a way to
track revisions in their release branches in a way that does not involve
spamming non-Qt bugs on bugs.webkit.org or developers who aren't working
directly on Qt.

- James