[webkit-dev] Large Source Reorganizations By External WebKit Ports

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:25:14 PDT 2011

Hi Peter,

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:
>> Google used this same approach with their Chromium port, the side effects of
>> which find us in year two (or three?) of the effort to merge those
>> changes back into the core WebKit archive.
>
> Um, what?  The Chromium port is fully upstreamed and has been for some time.
>  I'm not sure what you're saying here.  We are not forked and in fact have
> no support for building Chromium with anything other than upstream WebKit.

I admit that statement was a bit hyperbolic; however the Chromium
source base was significantly reorganized when it was a 'secret'
project, and took a lot of time to get in sync.  I'm wondering why
Google, EA, and others have felt the need to do so.

Note that there are still things that are not fully merged:  e.g.,
FontPlatformData is still largely forked from the mainline
implementation (e.g., arbitrarily different names for members).

-Brent