[webkit-dev] Windowless X based plugin and its support in WebKit and WebKit2 (GTK+ port)

Aneesh Bhasin contact.aneesh at gmail.com
Fri May 6 04:43:17 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I have been trying to understand the WebKit2 source and hopefully
start contributing small missing functionality to start with. Towards
this goal, I have implemented a small browser that can open multiple
tabs based on WebKit2 C API. I am currently using the GTK+ port from
the master branch of WebKit's git repo for this.

As I understand, as of now plugins are not working in WebKit2/GTK+. To
understand the same and start contributing (if possible), I plan to
use a basic windowless plugin for understanding/debugging. However, my
problem is that when I open a test HTML page that has this plugin, it
opens fine in Firefox, and somewhat okay in Chrome (the position is
shifted), but when I open the same using GtkLauncher or midori, both
fail to show the plugin area - although I could see that the plugin's
NPP functions are receiving the calls and the plugin's event handler
is also fired with event type GraphicsExpose - but nothing is drawn in
plugin area. (The plugin should draw two empty squares with green
boundary on a black background.). It will be pointless to use this for
testing/understanding WebKit2 unless this works fine on WebKit.

I have tried running this both on a recent commit on the master branch
as well as on WebKit/GTK+ version 1.4.0. The plugin code is as
attached below.

Could someone please have a look and let me know if there is something
in the plugin that is wrong, or is there an issue in WebKit/GTK+ port
with respect to window-less plugins ? I tried looking at bugzilla but
could not find any relevant bugs...

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestion and pointers..

regards,
Aneesh Bhasin