[webkit-dev] Build system update

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Wed Mar 23 12:26:52 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-23, at 12:17, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Mark Rowe <mrowe at apple.com> wrote:

>>> The information about how to create JavaScriptCore.framework is
>>> already spread around to a certain extent.  For example,
>>> JavaScriptCore.xcconfig does not contain the list of files that need
>>> to be built or information about the dependencies.  I'm having a hard
>>> time seeing what the practical difference is between specifying the
>>> product name in the xcodeproj file or the xcconfig file.
>>
>> What's the argument for changing where it is specified?  Is it simply because gyp doesn't know better?
>
> Yes.  Also, the names of the other targets are stored in the xcodeproj
> files.  I don't see this as a blocking issue, do you?

>>> I'm not sure I've correctly communicated how I envision this approach
>>> working.  If approach (2) doesn't work out for whatever reason, I can
>>> build a mockup of how this would work, which will be more concrete.
>>
>> You'll need to provide more detail then because I cannot see how this would work in a manner that doesn't cause the problems I have noted.
>
> As I wrote above, we can discuss this more at a later date, if necessary.

>>> The relevancy arises from the observation that the overhead is
>>> proportional to the frequency.  If we only submit WebKit to Apple's
>>> internal build system once a week, then this approach won't cause too
>>> much branch proliferation.  If, on the other hand, we're submitting
>>> every revision, then we're talking about doubling or tripling the
>>> revision burn rate, which might not be desirable.
>>
>> The rate at which we use SVN revisions or the number of branches isn't of particular concern to me.  The simple fact is that your proposal turns a single, trivial operation (create a tag) in to a sequence of more complicated operations (create a branch, check it out, run a script to generate a bunch of files, test that it builds, commit the new files, create a tag).  What used to be a single command-line operation that took a second to run is now a series of operations that takes 5+ minutes to complete.
>
> 5 minutes doesn't sound like much of a burden given that it's paid
> only by one person (as opposed to every contributor) can easily be
> automated.

Of course it's ok with you; you're not the one that you're proposing making things 300x slower for.

>>> From my perspective, approach (2) is more desirable than checking in
>>> generated project files because approach (2) encapsulates
>>> Apple-internal build process to Apple folks, more specifically to the
>>> Apple folks who interact with the Apple-internal build system.
>>> Checking in generated project files, on the other hand, imposes a
>>> maintenance burden on all WebKit contributors.
>>
>> The maintenance burden you mention is minuscule in comparison to the existing requirement of updating umpteen different build systems, including the impossible-to-hand-edit Xcode project files.  This is particularly true when we're still going to be updating umpteen minus one build systems for the foreseeable future.  If the Xcode project files were the only remaining project files then I'd certainly take this argument more seriously.
>
> Yes, unifying all our various build systems is a long journey and this
> is just the first step.

I'm glad that we agree that checking in the generated project files would create only a minuscule burden.

>> One issue that's been touched on but not stated explicitly is what the workflow will be for the average developer that wants to build WebKit.  Currently to update and build I do something like the following:
>> git svn rebase (or svn up)
>> make debug
>>
>> Presumably people that use this workflow would need to add an extra step between those two commands to generate project files?
>
> That would flow should work fine.  There's no need to alter it.

It would obviously work fine if the project files were checked in.  It obviously doesn't work as-is with gyp, which is what led me to raise the issue.

- Mark