[webkit-dev] Build system update

David Levin levin at chromium.org
Wed Mar 23 11:56:47 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Mark Rowe <mrowe at apple.com> wrote:
> >> In any case, I'm glad we've found a technically feasible solution.
> >
> > We've had at least one technically feasible solution from day zip: check
> in the generated project files.
>
> From my perspective, approach (2) is more desirable than checking in
> generated project files because approach (2) encapsulates
> Apple-internal build process to Apple folks, more specifically to the
> Apple folks who interact with the Apple-internal build system.
> Checking in generated project files, on the other hand, imposes a
> maintenance burden on all WebKit contributors.

Living with the chromium system of generating the files on the fly, I always
find it bothersome when the slowest step (by far) of my sync is generating
these project files.

So I personally prefer checking in the generated files (and letting this
delay be on the person making the change -- rather than distributing this
generation step to everyone). (As Mark mentions) this seems to also have the
benefit of disrupting people's workflow the least.

dave