[webkit-dev] SearchBox API

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Sun Mar 20 16:30:34 PDT 2011

On Mar 20, 2011, at 4:27 PM, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
>
>> When implemented by the embedder, the SearchBox API can't really make use of all the event-related machinery in WebCore.
>
> Lets see if we can export a clean way to do that. It may be too late for SearchBox, but perhaps not for future similar things browsers want to expose.

We should start by figuring out what machinery is unavailable. For example, I think browsers can create a custom event and send it, but maybe it’s hard to add properties to that event?

It may turn out that your premise—that we need to build browser features into WebCore because otherwise we’ll implement something low-quality—is correct, but I’m not yet convinced.

    -- Darin