[webkit-dev] SearchBox API

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sat Mar 19 10:10:55 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2010, at 10:00 AM, Tony Gentilcore wrote:
>> In any case, are there objections to beginning to land this under flag guard and vendor prefix?
>
> Yes, I do have an objection.
>
> Browser-specific API can be injected by the browser and doesn’t need to be built into WebKit. Safari already has some DOM API accessible only to search providers. WebKit has an architecture that allows this to be done without WebKit code changes.
>
> I suggest we put this feature in browsers, not the engine.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but what are the DOM APIs in
Safari that are accessible only to search providers?  I searched
around for a bit, but I couldn't find anything.  Also nothing obvious
jumped out at me either in the global scope or on window.navigator
when I ran the inspector on my default search engine's results page.

Thanks,
Adam