[webkit-dev] Building WebKit's GTK+ back-end using distcc timing

Ilyes Gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 02:55:15 PST 2011

Hi,

We've got a distcc setup/environment where we're used to build WebKit
Gtk+, a rather an old code base (WebKit.org corresponding commit
9161f3277b15aae8d15a929d5362e28cad7e01c0) compared to the current
WebKit's trunk and the thing is that we could achieve a complete build
in about 22 min or so, however when we recently moved to a more recent
code base, close to the tip of the trunk, we found that with the same
infrastructure in place and parameters (# of distcc servers,
compilers, optimizing levels, etc.) , the build takes about 1h:15 min
which is kind of way too much.

Could some one enlighten us about what have changed in the build
system of the Gtk+ port of WebKit that would have an impact on the
total build time? Could it be that configure.ac has changed so that
the final generated GNUMakefile is less optimal and spends more time
doing something else, when going through the CXX files to compile
them?

Thanks,

-Ilyes