[webkit-dev] progress/meter/input[type=range] orientation and implications in WebKit

Dimitri Glazkov dglazkov at chromium.org
Fri Mar 4 18:24:53 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
>>
>> Today, we happily use -webkit-appearance to apply platform-specific
>> appearance to the controls. The trouble is, the value of
>> -webkit-appearance is going to be different depending on the value of
>> logical width.
>
> Why not have a value of 'appearance' that automatically uses the right
> orientation, instead of having orientation-specific values?

You are correct, the theme can paint correctly oriented slider
controls in by looking at the box size it's painting. Hyatt pointed
out the same thing on #webkit.

However, the issue still exists in the cases of meter and progress.
They are using plain-old CSS gradient rules, not magic platform
painter (calked RenderTheme in WebKit).

:DG<