[webkit-dev] Writing a new XML parser with no external libraries

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 10:29:48 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Dirk Schulze <krit at webkit.org> wrote:

> Am 29.06.2011 um 05:42 schrieb TAMURA, Kent:
>
>> I'm a little negative of developing a new XML parser. I'm afraid that the new parser introduces a lot of security/stability problems which existing parsers already resolved.
>
> I feel the same. Writing a new parser from scratch means introducing a lot of new security bugs, parsing errors and maybe bigger performance lost at the beginning. [...] Updating libxml2 more often on MacOS would help a lot.

While I would welcome the reduction in build dependencies, I really
wonder if time wouldn't be better spent making libxml2 better so that
all projects that use it could benefit.

Does libxml2 suffer from architectural/design issues that mean that
throwing it out would be a better option than just fixing the problems
with it?

-Brent