[webkit-dev] Shadow DOM API (first iteration) ready for landing

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Tue Jun 28 21:01:54 PDT 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 5:15 PM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:
>> Hi Dmitri.
>>
>>> Since this is an experimental API, here are the actual API names we want to use:
>>>
>>> Element.webkitShadow
>>> Element.webkitPseudo
>>> document.webkitCreateShadow()
>>> window.WebKitShadowRootConstructor
>>> window.WebKitTreeScopeConstructor
>>

>> Even though we've been using "shadow" as a term in our internal development, I think it makes a bad API name, since it's vague to its purpose, and it conflicts with the existing meaning of "shadow" on the web, which is a color radiating around a visual element.
>
> I sympathize and agree that there's a naming collision, but I think
> the train has left the station on this one. "Shadow tree" and "shadow
> content" are terms that have been used pretty much universally to
> describe this construct, from XBL/XUL and XBL2 to SVG. I don't think
> we need to invent a new name for it.

Fair enough.

How about using "shadow tree" or "shadow content" consistently instead of just "shadow"? I can imagine "webkitShadow" meaning a lot of different things. "webkitShadowTree" or "webkitShadowContent" seems clearer.

Element.webkitShadowTree
Element.webkitPseudo // not sure what this is -- showing my ignorance
document.webkitCreateShadowTree()
window.WebKitShadowTreeConstructor // all trees begin at a root, right?
window.WebKitShadowTreeScopeConstructor // assuming this can only be used inside the shadow tree

Geoff