[webkit-dev] Adding ENABLE_CONTACTS to WebCore

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Tue Jun 28 12:22:27 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 9:49 AM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
>
> Can you give an example of a smooth UI that you'd need the more complex API
> for? When I think of the existing mail and chat apps in iOS/Android that
> I've use, <input type=contacts> could give just as smooth a UI as the
> existing apps, it's just on the browser side to make the UI good instead of
> on the web developer side.
>
> I think a token field based UI for this (like the address field in Mail on
> Mac OS X, or the attendees field in iCal) might make for good UI for this
> sort of thing. But this design assumes that the email address is desired, or
> at least relevant to display. Are there use cases where a contact is desired
> for a purpose completely unrelated to email addresses? Perhaps if you are
> making a dialer or an SMS app, but I'm not sure that is a case we want to
> support.

I think we probably do want to support those use-cases. You could still make
this work with an input element. Security-wise, I think it would be OK to
expose the entirety of the contact info once the user selects a contact. So
the app would then be able to show whatever they want in the UI.

I didn't want to delve too much into API details before getting a list of
use-cases, but with the use-cases I have in mind, I think we'd also want a
way of filtering items the user can pick from, similar to the "accept"
attribute on <input type=file>. For example, for an SMS app we'd only want
to show contacts that have a mobile phone number.

Ojan