[webkit-dev] The case for disallowing alerts in unload, redux

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sun Jun 26 13:37:28 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Sreeram Ramachandran
<sreeram at chromium.org>wrote:

> A confirm() can't actually do the first option ("Don't leave"). I
> believe there's nothing a page can do to prevent the navigation once
> it is in unload. The only way it can prevent it is by installing a
> beforeunload and returning a string.

Right.  So a web page can first ask whether a user wants to save states or
not.  Then ask whether a user really wants to leave a page or not using
beforeunload.

I do see that there can be potential uses for confirm and prompt
> during page dismissal. However, I haven't seen any such uses in my
> manual inspection; also, the number of such instances in the
> histograms is very tiny (orders of magnitude smaller than alert()).

Maybe we should just kill alert then.

- Ryosuke