[webkit-dev] Inconsistency in logging approach

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Thu Jun 23 13:16:31 PDT 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 1:12 PM, Łukasz Ślachciak wrote:

> Personally, I like approach of putting logging related code into  #if !LOG_DISABLED macro instead of #ifndef NDEBUG.

As I remember it, my original design for LOG was:

    1) Control with LOG_DISABLED, not NDEBUG.
    2) Turn off for releases.
    3) Feel free to do logging that might make things too slow in a release.
    4) Give engineers a way to compile with logging on but leaving, say, assertions off.

Correcting the #if to use LOG_DISABLED would be going back to the original design.

But I’m surprised that GTK and EFL chose to leave logging on in releases.

    -- Darin