[webkit-dev] Switching away from integers for layout

Levi Weintraub leviw at google.com
Thu Jun 23 12:11:49 PDT 2011

We spent a lot of time thinking about this and I should have mentioned our
thoughts in the original email. My apologies.

We're not opposed to fixed-point, but given that the line box tree and SVG
both already use floating point, we felt like it made the most sense to
validate in our prototype that the rest of the rendering engine could be
made to work on that as well. As Eric said and Mitz suggested, the ultimate
underlying integral type is actually orthogonal to our next step of plumbing
this abstraction through the render tree.

Emil and I looked into what Firefox did. They did go with a
fixed-point-esque approach where one of their units represents 1/96th of a
pixel. That number should tell you something about when this work was done,
and they were mostly concerned about performance. Using our floating point
prototype, we saw ~1% slow down when laying out 100,000 elements, but we're
also rounding far more in our unfinished prototype than we would in the
final product.

-L