[webkit-dev] Accessibility Object Searching

Dominic Mazzoni dmazzoni at google.com
Wed Jun 22 08:12:32 PDT 2011

Hi Sam,

I'm one of Chrome's accessibility developers. I think this is a really
great idea, I think the ability for WebKit to do the searching rather
than the screen reader could be a big performance win for users.

In order to take advantage of this feature on multiple platforms, we'd
need to add some new APIs to the platform accessibility APIs like
NSAccessibility and IAccessible2 - could you give us an idea of what
you had in mind for those APIs? It might be nice to get some feedback
from those communities too, as the design of the high-level API might
impact how the low-level webkit changes might work.

It seems to me that not just searching for the next instance of a role
(like link or table), but being able to more quickly search for text
that might appear in an object's accessible title or description,
would be perhaps the biggest win for users. Perhaps that's already
part of what you had in mind.

- Dominic