[webkit-dev] API documentation in cpp files

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Wed Jun 22 07:40:55 PDT 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Grzesiek Czajkowski wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> I am wondering why webkit has the most documentation in cpp files. In header files only classes, structures are documented. Is there any reason to do it in that way?
>
> If we will have all documentation in header files client programmer will take devel package of webkit and he may generate a documentation by doxygen command. He doesn't need the sources of WebKit.

In Qt we do the same because when a developer hack on the cpp files, the doc is right in front of his eyes, which means that there is more chance he will fix the doc and not forget about it. I also remember that it was done back in time so that when you just update the doc of an important file (included everywhere) you will not end up rebuilding *everything* because you changed the h file, i.e. you will only recompile the cpp file.