[webkit-dev] Spellcheck API for WebKit

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Jun 21 23:27:12 PDT 2011

2011/6/21 Hironori Bono (坊野 博典) <hbono at chromium.org>

>  On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com>
> wrote:
> > This new API got turn on inadvertently on Mac just now, and a few of us
> spent
> > a wasted hour trying to get things to build. In this light, my comments
> on the API
> > may not be as favorable as they would otherwise be.
> >
> > First, why is the API on HTMLDivElement?
>
> Unfortunately, I have just copied and pasted my code in
> HTMLTextAreaElement to support contenteditable elements and designMode
> ones because I did not have better ideas at that time. I should have
> asked about it in this ML before landing this change.

contenteditable attribute can appear in any element so I don't think we
should restrict it to div.

 > Second, since this exposes to the web API in a non-final spec, the new
> methods
> > should be prefixed with 'webkit' to avoid potential conflict if the API
> changes later.
>
> This is totally my fault. (The sin of ignorance.) Sorry again for that.
>
> By the way, I wonder how I should treat my r88332 even though I
> understand this change was wrong. Even though there are several
> it, 3. send changes that apply these comments, etc. Would it be
> possible to give me your advice?

Given that the original patch seems to have various issues and we're going
to make a lot of changes (i.e. move it to HTMLElement and prefix it with
webkit or chrome), option 2 seems most suitable approach here.

- Ryosuke