[webkit-dev] Spellcheck API for WebKit

Simon Fraser simon.fraser at apple.com
Tue Jun 21 21:17:22 PDT 2011

On May 31, 2011, at 3:38 AM, Hironori Bono (坊野 博典) wrote:

> Greetings WebKit developers,
>
> These days, we have talked about adding Spellcheck API in the
> public-webapps ML:
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011AprJun/0516>.
> This API currently consists of two functions (addSpellcheckRange and
> removeSpellcheckRange) and an attribute (spellcheckRanges) to editable
> elements of HTML so web-application developers (and extension
> developers) can implement custom spellcheckers. Also, I have uploaded
> a reference implementation of this API to <http://webkit.org/b/59693>.
> Even though this change enables this SpellcheckAPI only on Chromium,
> it would be definitely helpful to give me your feedback not only for
> this Spellcheck API and also for my WebKit change.
> Thank you for your help in advance.

This new API got turn on inadvertently on Mac just now, and a few of us spent
a wasted hour trying to get things to build. In this light, my comments on the API
may not be as favorable as they would otherwise be.

First, why is the API on HTMLDivElement?

Second, since this exposes to the web API in a non-final spec, the new methods
should be prefixed with 'webkit' to avoid potential conflict if the API changes later.

Simon