[webkit-dev] How to integrate HbbTV with WebKit

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Mon Jun 20 09:38:04 PDT 2011

HbbTV does not appear to be an open standard:

http://pda.etsi.org/pda/home.asp?wki_id=hsZ9g8-p%27v475895z4LHX

[[
This publication is copyright protected. ETSI continues to assert its
rights on ETSI documents published in any form. For additional
copyright information about this publication please refer to the
copyright statement contained in the document. The document that you
are downloading is provided to you on the condition that it may not be
modified, redistributed, sold or repackaged in any form without the
prior consent of ETSI and where appropriate other copyright holders.
It is strictly for your private use. If you do not agree with these
conditions please go back now, else if you agree with these
conditions, you can start downloading the document.
]]

Compare that license with the one the W3C grants with its specifications:

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231

[[
Permission to copy, and distribute the contents of this document, or
the W3C document from which this statement is linked, in any medium
for any purpose and without fee or royalty is hereby granted, provided
that you include the following on ALL copies of the document, or
portions thereof, that you use:
1) A link or URL to the original W3C document.
2) The pre-existing copyright notice of the original author, or if it
doesn't exist, a notice (hypertext is preferred, but a textual
representation is permitted) of the form: "Copyright ©
[$date-of-document] World Wide Web Consortium, (Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, European Research Consortium for Informatics
and Mathematics, Keio University). All Rights Reserved.
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231"
3) If it exists, the STATUS of the W3C document.
]]

That's not to say we never implement non-open standards or that we
implement all open standards, just that the bar for non-open standards
is significantly higher than the bar for open standards, like those
published by the W3C or the IETF.

Adam