[webkit-dev] parallel painting

Pierre-Antoine LaFayette pierre.lafayette at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 20:24:21 PDT 2011

(Resending from correct email)

For HTML5 canvas animations, painting speed is very significant.

Android uses a retain mode rendering approach as well; where paint
operations are recorded on a WebCore thread and painting is actually done on
the UI thread. It isn't necessarily the best approach. But I suppose it
depends the platform whether or not there is much to gain. You still need to
worry about synchronization.

On 6 April 2010 03:24, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:

> Parallel painting would only be useful if the graphics layer is
> incredibly slow.  In most WebKit ports we do not see very much time
> painting, rather time is more often spent in layout, style resolution,
> or javascript execution/bindings.
>
> -eric
>
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Zoltan Herczeg
> <zherczeg at inf.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on a parallel painting feature for WebKit (bug id: 36883).
> > Basically it records the painting commands on the main thread, and replay
> > them on a painting thread. The gain would be that the recording operation
> > is cheap. Currently it is Qt specific, but I could make it more platform
> > independent if other ports are interested.
> >
> > Zoltan

Pierre.