[webkit-dev] Slow idioms with WTF::String

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Tue Jul 12 10:31:56 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> The key to fast use of WTF::String is to avoid creating temporary
> WTF::StringImpl objects or temporary copies of string data.
>
> With the latest enhancements to WTF::String, here are the preferred fast
> ways to build a new string:
>
>    - A single expression with the + operator and arguments of type
> WTF::String, char, UChar, const char*, const UChar*, Vector<char>, and
> WTF::AtomicString.
>    - A call to the WTF::makeString function.
>    - An expression that uses a single function on the string, or uses the +
> operator exactly once, or the += operator with the types it supports
> directly.
>    - WTF::StringBuilder, in cases where the logic to compute the pieces of
> the string has complex branching logic or requires a loop.
>
> Here are acceptable, but not preferred ways to build a new string:
>
>    - Building up a Vector<UChar> followed by WTF::String::adopt. I believe
> StringBuilder is always better, so we should probably retire this idiom.
>
> Inefficient ways to build a new string include any uses of more than one of
> the following:
>
>    - WTF::String::append.
>    - The += operator.
>
> There are other operations that modify the WTF::String; none of those are
> efficient if the string in question is then modified further.
>
>    - WTF::String::insert.
>    - WTF::String::replace.
>
> In addition, there are quite a few operations that return a WTF::String,
> and none of those are efficient if the string in question is then modified
> further.
>
>    - WTF::String::number.
>    - WTF::String::substring.
>    - WTF::String::left.
>    - WTF::String::right.
>    - WTF::String::lower.
>    - WTF::String::upper.
>    - WTF::String::stripWhiteSpace.
>    - WTF::String::simplifyWhiteSpace.
>    - WTF::String::removeCharacters.
>    - WTF::String::foldCase.
>    - WTF::String::format.
>    - WTF::String::fromUTF8.
>
> One reason I bring this up is that if we wanted to make combinations of
> these more efficient, we might be able to use techniques similar to those
> used in StringOperators.h to make it so the entire result string is built at
> one time, eliminating unnecessary copies of the string characters and
> intermediate StringImpl objects on the heap.
>
> It would be interesting to find out how often the inefficient idioms are
> used. Until recently, there was no significantly better alternative to the
> inefficient idioms, so it’s highly likely we have them in multiple places.
>
> A quick grep showed me inefficient uses of += in
> XMLDocumentParser::handleError and XPath::FunTranslate::evaluate,
> parseRFC822HeaderFields, InspectorStyleSheet::addRule, drawElementTitle in
> DOMNodeHighlighter.cpp, WebKitCSSTransformValue::cssText,
> CSSSelector::selectorText, CSSPrimitiveValue::cssText,
> [...]

This thread resonates very deeply with me (idioms that make it hard to write
slow code == pure goodness), but I suspect we really ought to build
performance tests to help support these improvements.  It is easy to put a
lot of energy into optimizing code that provides no measurable benefit :-/

-Darin