[webkit-dev] LayoutTests results fallback graph

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Mon Jul 11 10:46:15 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

>>> Could you measure this? I suspect that not falling back on the mac pixel
>>> results will mean checking in a few thousand more pngs, but that's just a
>>> guess.
>>
>> That seems possible:
>>
>> abarth at quadzen:~/git/webkit/LayoutTests/platform/chromium-mac$ find .
>> -name "*.png" | wc -l
>>     900
>> abarth at quadzen:~/git/webkit/LayoutTests/platform/mac$ find . -name
>> "*.png" | wc -l
>>    6688
>> abarth at quadzen:~/git/webkit/LayoutTests/platform/chromium-win$ find .
>> -name "*.png" | wc -l
>>    5988
>> abarth at quadzen:~/git/webkit/LayoutTests/platform/chromium-linux$ find
>> . -name "*.png" | wc -l
>>    5731
>
> Adding thousands more PNGs would be unfortunate, especially if a significant number of them are going to be rolled over frequently.

I wouldn't expect a significant number of them to change frequently.

> What are the concrete benefits of the fallback graph being a tree?

There are two main benefits:

1) A tree is much easier to understand than a rats nest of interwoven
fallback paths.  Today, the graph is close to a tree so it's possible
for experts to understand how things work, but if we continue to add
non-transitive paths, the situation will quickly spiral out of
control.  For folks who aren't experts about how the system works
today, I doubt they could correctly predict the consequence of certain
actions.  One of my short-term goals is to make managing the expecte
results easier, which is why I'm interested in having the system be
understandable to non-experts.

2) Without a tree structure, it's difficult to compute the optimum
assignments of expected results to directories.  With a tree
structure, it's very easy.  If all the children of a node have the
same result, you can delete the result at the children and promote it
to the parent.  That reasoning is false for our current fallback
graph.  The correct rule for when you can promote a result instead
requires reasoning over all paths (of which, of course, there are
exponentially many).

There will be a transition cost, but the long-term benefits will
likely outweigh the transition costs.

Adam