[webkit-dev] Is vendor-prefixing JavaScript APIs a waste of time?

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Sat Jul 9 13:46:10 PDT 2011

ArrayBuffer has gone [mostly?] without vendor prefixing,
CSS transforms and RAF (requestAnimationFrames) went with.

createObjectUrl has been touch-and-go.

As a dev, I look at RAF and CSS transforms and wonder why vendors couldn't
agree to those two ahead of time.

Then there is createObjectUrl and ArrayBuffer, which
have had their unexpected changes in (WebIDL) specs and prefixing.

It'd be nice to see a -fast track- decision process which might be tapped
upon for future methods. If the four large vendors agree on a method name
through a fast track process, perhaps devs could skip some vendor prefixing.

The issue there, of course, is that vendors would be tacitly agreeing
to implement such methods. And while they may agree internally
and add it to their road-map, company policy may prohibit
public acknowledgment.

For example, I doubt any vendors object to the basic Typed Array types,
and those types are not currently prefixed.

-Charles