[webkit-dev] Remote Debugging v8 - Android

Pavel Feldman pfeldman at chromium.org
Thu Jul 7 00:14:46 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM, JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA <jmcf at tid.es>wrote:

>  Hi there,****
>
> ** **
>
> I have two technical questions concerning the Webkit Remote Debugging
> Protocol. ****
>
> ** **
>
> a/ What is the difference / relationship between this protocol and the v8
> remote debugging capabilities? ****
>
> **

Webkit Remote Debugging Protocol is the one Web Inspector uses. It allows
debugging all flavors of the running page, not only JavaScript. V8 protocol
only exposes JavaScript debugging and is browser-agnostic. You should stick
with the WebKit's one in case you are interested in WebKit-based browsers
debugging. Use V8's one when you intend to debug applications such as
node.js.

 **

> b/ How this protocol could be enabled for an Android device?****
>
> **

You need to check with Android port owners on whether they intend to enable
INSPECTOR in their builds and expose remote debugging capabilities.