[webkit-dev] coding style and comments

Ryan Leavengood leavengood at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:41:05 PST 2011

On Sunday, January 30, 2011, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> I'll go the other way and point out some example of comments that I think are poor.

This file is terribly commented, I agree, but cherry picking a really
bad file isn't the best way to make a point IMO.

Maybe the solution here is better documentation outside the source
code. I hope some of the more experienced WebKit developers can agree
that there are parts of the code that are harder for new developers to
dig into. Some high-level docs that are kept updated might be nice. Of
course the key here is keeping them updated, and if it is hard to keep
source code comments up to date I don't know how much hope there is
for outside docs. Of course this applies to any project and is by no
means just a flaw in this project. At least if the comments are in the
code there is hope that a reviewer would catch when comments get out
of date.

Ryan