[webkit-dev] coding style and comments

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Fri Jan 28 10:21:13 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> Do you have any specific mechanism in mind for keeping global comments
> accurate?

No more than I have for keeping API usage or function implementations
correct; that is, if we have comments, they must be as important to
reviewers and patch authors as the code is.

> Personally, I expect that adding such comments will make the barrier for
> entry higher in practice, as one would have to deal with lies.

At least for me, WebKit subsystems have always been much harder to learn
than equivalent-complexity Chromium subsystems (in Chromium we strongly
encourage comments, and our style guide mandates at least class-level ones).
 I have heard this sentiment echoed by others but I can't say whether it's a
majority viewpoint.

No system is perfect, but I have not found out-of-date comments in Chromium
to be a big problem, presumably because the culture prods people to keep
them up to date.

PK