[webkit-dev] question re: including some python-licensed code into the tree

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Tue Jan 18 15:59:31 PST 2011

Hi all,

In the course of working on new-run-webkit-tests, I find myself
needing to implement a variant of some code normally provided in the
Python standard library. Attempting to implement this in a clean room
manner will be painful and nonobvious, so I'd just as soon just
cut&paste the relevant code over and modify it. However, doing so
would require me to include the appropriate license info, and I'm told
that the PSF license may not necessarily be already approved for
inclusion into the tree.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The code in question is the
implementation of the os.walk() routine (about 10 lines of code),
which needs to be emulated using an in-memory implementation of a
filesystem that uses a dictionary of files. the PSF license is here:
http://docs.python.org/license.html . It is GPL-compatible but more
liberal.

-- Dirk