[webkit-dev] Supporting css ime-mode property

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Jan 13 22:02:19 PST 2011

On my second thought, it seems like all usage could be addressed by WebKit
changing IME status based on lang attribute.  e.g. in a page where
lang="ja", we'd expect Japanese IME to be enabled and if any input/textarea
has lang="en", then we can automatically switch to English IME (e.g. IME is
turned off on Windows with Japanese locale).

This seems to serve most of the use cases discussed on this thread and
avoids introducing platform-dependent concept of "IME being off".  And it
can further be generalized to pages with multiple forms each of which
requires input in a different language.

- Ryosuke