[webkit-dev] EventListener Invocation Cost?

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Mon Jan 10 10:19:50 PST 2011

On Jan 9, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Alex Milowski wrote:

> I'm not sure there is a lot that can be done about it.

I’m sure we can speed it up if we have a reason to. Step one is to find out exactly where the time is spent. Then we figure out ways to streamline the code path. The experts on this may not have the same priorities you do, so they may not have plans to spend time improving it.

> The only question I have right now is whether the event handler function from Javascript is JIT compiled.

The answer is yes.

There’s nothing special about the event handler function. In fact at the time it is compiled the engine doesn’t know it will be an event handler function.

Unless you’re talking about a handler from a content attribute such as onclick. Those are also compiled, though.

    -- Darin