[webkit-dev] Help with GTK build

Alejandro G. Castro alex at igalia.com
Sat Jan 8 03:20:18 PST 2011

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 02:38:51AM -0800, Adam Barth wrote:
> Hi GTK folks,
>
> As we've been discussing, I moved WebCore this evening.  The GTK bot
> has a mysterious build error that I'm hoping you can help me with:
>
> make  all-am
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/slave/webkitgtk/gtk-linux-64-debug/build/WebKitBuild/Debug'
> /bin/mkdir -p ./.deps/DerivedSources
> make[1]: execvp: /bin/bash: Argument list too long
> make[1]: *** [libwebkitgtk-1.0.la] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/slave/webkitgtk/gtk-linux-64-debug/build/WebKitBuild/Debug'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> http://build.webkit.org/builders/GTK%20Linux%2064-bit%20Debug/builds/17896/steps/compile-webkit/logs/stdio
>
> I take this to mean that adding "Source" to a bunch of the path names
> caused some build command to exceed the allowable length of a command
> line argument?  What's the best way to fix this issue?

Yeah, it is the length, we already had that issue when doing "make
dist". It looks like adding "Source" is adding enough characters to
cause the same problem:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.make.bugs/4219

I'm afraid we have to patch the make we are using in the bots. I'll try
to check it.

br