[webkit-dev] RuntimeEnabledFeatures for JSC (was RE: Getting at Settings object from WorkerContext)

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Thu Jan 6 12:57:52 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Joe Mason wrote:
>> I took a look at CodeGeneratorJS.pm to see how hard it would be to port this over. I have no idea where to start…  The structure of CodeGeneratorJS.pm and CodeGeneratorV8.pm seem quite different. This also seems like a lot of work to do just to enable/disable one feature, but I guess if there’s no framework for enabling/disabling JS features in JSC at all then it’s necessary.
>
> I’m sad that the V8 code generator script diverged so much from the original. It would be great if they were kept closer. I have refactored them to become more similar and even share code whenever I had to modify both, such as when making changes to [Reflect].

That's one my list of things I'd like to do, but my Perl isn't strong
enough yet.  :(

>> Is there wide agreement that porting the RuntimeEnabledFeatures to JSC is a good idea?
>
> I think it would probably be good. Not sure why the person who did it originally did it V8-only.

There's been some discussion about it in the past on webkit-dev.  I
think the issue revolves around the way JavaScriptCore uses static
tables to store properties.  It's important that runtime disabled
properties are completely disabled (e.g., "webkitIndexedDB" in window
returns false).  If you're able to get it to work, that's great!

Adam