[webkit-dev] git history and the moving to Source

Evan Martin evan at chromium.org
Mon Jan 3 22:26:12 PST 2011

Adam is correct.

To elaborate, there are two rename-related flags of interest:

1) When you git log -- foo/bar.cc, you're saying "only show me logs
that apply to the path foo/bar.cc".  This excludes renames implicitly.
 The --follow flag indicates that the filename filter should be
broadened to include renames.

2) If you are viewing diffs (like with -p), you must pass -M etc. just
as you would to git diff for it to find renames.

Here's an interesting thread from Linus on the subject:
  http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2009/1/30/4856404/thread
As usual, his opinions on renames are ...interesting.