[webkit-dev] Test Expectations: A Pipe Dream

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sat Feb 26 11:36:18 PST 2011

Some thoughts on the below:

1) An incremental step towards the below is getting the EWS bots to
run the tests in the first place.  That would be useful even if they
didn't know how to add new expectations to attachments.

2) Architecturally, this will require some changes to how the EWS
works.  The EWS is decentralized, which basically means that the
different bots operate independently.  Do implement LaTER, we'd need
the bots to coordinate at the end to decide where in the fallback
chain to add the new expectations.

3) I suspect this system will be difficult to build with the current
state of redness in the tree.  You should think carefully about how
you'd like to handle the situation where not all the tests are passing
when LaTER processes a patch.

In general, I like the approach of being able to land patches that
change the expected results of test on platforms that I don't have
handy on my desk.

Adam