[webkit-dev] Remote debugger

Sergiy Temnikov Sergiy.Temnikov at 4d.com
Fri Feb 18 07:04:58 PST 2011

Hello,

I'm working on a remote JavaScript debugger for a server which uses webkit to execute JavaScript code. The debugger is shaping up nicely and is already very much functional. We chose Crossfire as the debugging protocol and developed our own UI debugger client. However, being Crossfire-compatible, should allow us in the (hopefully near) future to debug the server-side JavaScript using Firefox with Firebug and Crossfire plug-ins. I was wondering if there are any plans in the webkit community to create a native remote JavaScript debugger as part of the webkit build. If there are such plans then what would be the debugging protocol of choice? Webkit is already available on mobile devices but because of the screen size limitations it is not always reasonable to debug the Javascript directly on a device. Instead, it would be nice to debug the device's  JavaScript from a regular PC over the network.
If any of you are already working on a similar subject then please share your thoughts and comments regarding your particular implementation, which protocol you use and how you see remote debugging appearing in webkit.

Regards,

-Sergiy Temnikov

[cid:3fa2fb.png at 5736e59a.47840135]
Sergiy Temnikov