[webkit-dev] Question regarding priorities of subresource content retrieval

Tony Gentilcore tonyg at chromium.org
Tue Feb 8 08:48:53 PST 2011

Your test case isn't really about prioritization. The HTML5 spec
defines very specifically when parsing must stop. The two main cases
are:
1. Waiting for an external script to download
2. Waiting for an external stylesheet to download when any script
block is reached

In these cases, the parser does not continue parsing the document to
discover new subresources to download. However, as an optimization,
the PreloadScanner speculatively scans the source (which it is not
allowed to parse yet) for any subresources which should probably be
downloaded. This way when parsing does continue the resources are
already available or at least have a head start. So if we aren't able
to scan ahead and at least discover these resources, prioritization is
moot.

Now, assume we have discovered all subresources on the page and could
prioritize them altogether. I'm still not sure I'd buy your argument
about resources from another domain being less important. Many sites
use CDNs on different domains to download resources. Also, many sites
include their JS libraries from common locations. In either of those
cases, another domain could be holding the critical blocking resource.
Perhaps it is worth experimenting with the heuristic you suggest, but
I certainly don't think we can just assert that is the case.