[webkit-dev] safari extension script loading within injected file

Lou Zell lzell11 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 23:37:07 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Lou Zell <lzell11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I made a simple test where I load a single javascript file from within the
> injected js.  This single file creates a variable, window.MyGlobal.  What is
> very interesting to me is that this object is accessible from the loaded
> page!  Meaning if I create an html file that tries to access
> window.MyGlobal, it can.  I don't think web page authors are supposed to be
> able to access variables created by extensions.

After giving this more thought.  This behavior does seem perfectly
reasonable.  The javascript I'm using (in the first email) loads the second
script by appending a <script> tag to <head>.  So obviously whatever is in
that script is going to be accessible by the page's author.

> I'm going to pose the question in the Apple list Adam suggested.  I'll post
> the solution here for completeness when I get one.

So, it appears the answer to my question is: you're doing it wrong!  Any
javascript that my extension needs must be injected in.  I can specify
multiple files to inject, but I was trying to only load files as I needed
them--instead of injecting them all on each page load.  In the future I can
imagine Apple adding some form of conditional injection to extensions.

Best,
Lou