[webkit-dev] Tools/Scripts/build-webkit --gtk --debug --makeargs="-j1" taking up to 80% of memory

Zeno Albisser zeno at webkit.org
Tue Dec 27 02:52:31 PST 2011

Hi Sachin,

We had the same/a similar problem with QtWebKit.
Ranlib ran out of memory on a 32bit system when building debug, because the library got bigger than 4GB.
I dont think there is a proper solution for this problem. The only thing that would help would be to reduce the size of WebCore. For now we just disabled debug builds on 32bit systems. I heard some people managed to build debug by disabling SVG. - never tried it myself though.

Best Regards

-- Zeno