[webkit-dev] Removing support for the RVCT compiler

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Mon Dec 12 03:46:42 PST 2011

On Sunday, December 11, 2011 02:55:40 AM ext Andreas Kling wrote:
> Hola WebKittens!
>
> Are there any objections to removing support for the RVCT compiler (ARM
> RealView) in WebKit? As far as I know, the only user has been the Symbian
> port which is no longer present on WebKit trunk.

I believe some other folks (Brew? Blackberry?) have been compiling WebKit with
RVCT. Generally speaking I think it's a pretty decent compiler provided a
recent version is used. There are versions available for Linux for example, so
it's not a Symbian specific compiler at all.

The Qt builds were largely based on RVCT 2.2, which had its fair share of
issues (not as bad as WINSCW though). I believe the majority of compiler
workarounds in WebKit related to RVCT are because of this ancient version.

I think any RVCT related compiler workarounds could probably be removed,
because there's a very high chance that they're due to 2.2. But I think if
COMPILER(RVCT) is kept, then I can imagine that it would require very little
maintenance to keep supporting it.

(Interestingly enough grep in WebCore doesn't show anything RVCT related, only
JavaScriptCore seems to have some serious workarounds for it)

Simon