[webkit-dev] WebKit branch to support multiple VMs (e.g., Dart)

Vijay Menon vsm at google.com
Mon Dec 5 22:43:20 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> The issue here isn't "can we make multiple vms live in webkit" it's "can we
> expose multiple languages to the web", to the former i say obviously as we
> already do, to the latter I say that we don't want to.

People are already using multiple languages on the web.  E.g.,
https://github.com/jashkenas/coffee-script/wiki/List-of-languages-that-compile-to-JS.
 Native runtime support is a natural next step.

WebKit does support multiple VMs, but it does not support them
concurrently at runtime.  That is essentially what we want to enable.

Cheers,

Vijay