[webkit-dev] WebKit branch to support multiple VMs (e.g., Dart)

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Mon Dec 5 13:36:26 PST 2011

What is the benefit to the project in exposing an additional (non standardized) language to the web?  All the bindings that webkit currently provides to are either standardized EcmaScript or platform specific bindings used by native code developers embedding webkit.

Adding an additional web facing language (that isn't standardized) doesn't seem beneficial to the project, if anything it seems harmful (cf. VBScript in IE).

Anyway if we were to add an additional language the language people have been asking for for years is Python which is already extremely popular and well known so it seems that it would be a much better choice to expose, but even then it seems like a bad idea.

--Oliver