[webkit-dev] Thread Model in WebKit2

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Mon Aug 29 11:18:35 PDT 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 12:45 AM, prince goyal wrote:

> Does community is having any plan for thread model or is any patch available for thread model?

Early in the development of WebKit2 the thread model was working on Mac OS X and Windows.

Those of us at Apple stopped maintaining and using the threaded model because we couldn’t use it on Mac OS X. We need to have WebKit1 and WebKit2 coexist there and the same copy of WebCore didn’t work in a single process as both WebKit1’s WebCore and WebKit2’s WebCore. WebKit2 makes use of WebKit1 on Mac OS X at this time, as does the Safari application, so a mode where WebKit2 worked but WebKit1 did not was not valuable to us.

We at Apple might decide to make use of it again in the future if and when we have resolve those issues for ourselves and once again have contexts where we are using WebKit2 only. But that’s unlikely to happen any time soon.

    -- Darin