[webkit-dev] Chromium "GPU" LayoutTests

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Mon Aug 22 15:24:58 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:18 PM, James Robinson <jamesr at google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

>> > The " - GPU" bots are the same bots as the normal layout test bots, but
>> > run
>> > as a separate step.
>> >
>> >  See http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.webkit/builders/Webkit%20Mac10.6%20%28CG%29/builds/185,
>> > for example.  The "bot name" for the GPU tests is the normal bot name
>> > with "
>> > - GPU" appended.

>> > build.webkit.org seems to not be running these tests, for reasons that
>> > are
>> > unclear to me, but they run on the other chromium bots that run layout
>> > tests.

>> > Different flags are passed to DumpRenderTree, but it runs some of the
>> > same
>> > tests.  This is so we can get coverage for (for instance) the 2d canvas
>> > API
>> > in our hardware and software paths.
>>
>> Could we instead use the layoutTestController to enable or disable
>> whatever flags at test-time rather than on the command line?  For
>> example, we could put the guts of the 2d canvas tests into a
>> JavaScript file and include it in two HTML files, one that sets the
>> flag and one that does not.  That's how we handle strict vs quirks
>> mode, for example.
>
> There are 802 tests in canvas/philip/tests/ (which is an imported suite),
> currently all implemented as separate .html files, and another 166 in
> fast/canvas.  It seems a bit tedious to manually wrap each of these tests in
> two different wrappers.  That doesn't seem like a very practical option,
> although it has some nice aspects.

I'd be happy to edit these thousand files if it meant we could remove
the complexity of the GPU configuration.  The ongoing maintenance cost
of the GPU configuration strikes me as a lot greater than the one-time
cost of changing these tests.  (There's also the side-benefit of
letting all the other ports increase their test coverage by wiring up
the LayoutTestController method.)

I suspect (although I'd have to look more carefully), that we could
make this work for the canvas/philip/tests tests without actually
modifying the files (e.g., using iframes), if we wanted the ability to
easily import new versions of that test suite.

Adam