[webkit-dev] Chromium "GPU" LayoutTests

James Robinson jamesr at google.com
Mon Aug 22 15:02:33 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> I've been trying to wrap my mind around the "GPU" LayoutTests that
> Chromium runs.  In
> <http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/LayoutTests/platform>, there are
> the following directories:
>
> chromium-gpu
> chromium-gpu-cg-mac
> chromium-gpu-linux
> chromium-gpu-win
>
> These seem to be related to the webkit_gpu_tests step on these bots:
>

> http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.webkit/builders/Webkit%20Mac10.5%20%28CG%29
>
> http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.webkit/builders/Webkit%20Mac10.6%20%28CG%29
> http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.webkit/builders/Webkit%20Linux
> http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.webkit/builders/Webkit%20Vista
> http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.webkit/builders/Webkit%20Win7
>
> This file <
> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Tools/Scripts/webkitpy/layout_tests/port/builders.py
> >
> also lists the following bots:
>
> Webkit Win - GPU
> Webkit Win7 - GPU
> Webkit Linux - GPU
> Webkit Linux 32 - GPU
> Webkit Mac10.5 (CG) - GPU
> Webkit Mac10.6 (CG) - GPU
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Do these "- GPU" bots exist anywhere?  (I can't find them, and a
> recent bug comment indicates that they might be fictional.)

The " - GPU" bots are the same bots as the normal layout test bots, but run
as a separate step.  See
http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.webkit/builders/Webkit%20Mac10.6%20%28CG%29/builds/185,
for example.  The "bot name" for the GPU tests is the normal bot name with "
- GPU" appended.

> 2) Are there any other bots related to the GPU configuration other
> than those listed above?  (For example, is there any coverage of this
> configuration on build.webkit.org?)

build.webkit.org seems to not be running these tests, for reasons that are
unclear to me, but they run on the other chromium bots that run layout
tests.

3) Why is webkit_gpu_tests a separate step from webkit_tests?

Different flags are passed to DumpRenderTree, but it runs some of the same
tests.  This is so we can get coverage for (for instance) the 2d canvas API
in our hardware and software paths.

> As far as I can tell, other ports, such as Apple-Mac, make use of the
> GPU but don't impose as large a complexity tax on the project.  Is
> there something different about Chromium's GPU support that requires
> this additional complexity?

Other ports have less test coverage, and they don't run the pixel tests at
all on the bots.

- James