[webkit-dev] webkit vs webkit 2 , svg functionality

Dean Jackson dino at apple.com
Thu Apr 28 17:15:56 PDT 2011

Saba,

It seems no one answered your question so I'll take a stab.

On 24/04/2011, at 5:26 AM, Saba Taseer wrote:

> I am new to webkit and trying to understand its api and processes. I have been experimenting with winlaumcher and mini browser projects on windows. I tried to load an svg circle from winlauncher and I was able to trace a call to svg circle element :: create function. Then I moved to mini browser. I wrote the circle code in a file and wrote its url in the minibrowser window. I couldnot trace a call to svg circle elelent :: create function. The code in the svg file was :
>
> <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
> <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
> <svg width="100%" height="100%" version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
> 	<circle cx="100" cy="50" r="40" stroke="black" stroke-width="2" fill="red"/>
> </svg>
>
> I am confused now and want to know what is the main difference between the two projects. One idea is that minibrowser is using webkit2 instead of webkit. Even if that is the case, I think svg call should still be there if the main difference between webkit2 and webkit is only of the processes.

I assume by trace you mean debug, in which case my understanding is that you're looking at the wrong process in WebKit2. Minibrowser is the UI process which will never execute the SVG ::create method. You need the Web process. The Chrome browser does something similar.

Dean